Deadly Fall

 Electrician falls to his death from an electricity post in Lajonia, Labasa on Saturday, The sole breadwinner had bought his family a piece of land to be closer to them.
08 Feb 2021 11:43
Deadly Fall
From Left: Maya Wati with Prabha Wati and her son, Anal Lal, with a photo of Arvin Singh. Insert: The Late Arvin Singh. Photo: Shratika Naidu

A 29-year-old, who worked hard to buy his family a block of land, will never get to see them relocate after he died in a tragic accident on Saturday.

Arvin Singh was conducting inspection for a contractor with another colleague atop a property’s post at Lajonia in Labasa, when he allegedly fell, Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said.

The victim was unwell at the time of the incident, she said.

He was rushed to the Labasa Hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

His cousin, Anal Lal, who works with him for their uncle’s Lal’s Motor Winding Services, said Mr Singh always put his family first before anything else.

“Arvin bought a block near our house from his savings to relocate his family from Bua,” Mr Lal said.

“That is why he didn’t get married because he was working very hard to save money.

“On Saturday we left the house together with my elder brother, Aman Lal.”

A distraught mother, Maya Wati, of Luvuluvu Settlement in Bua, said she still couldn’t believe that her eldest had died.

The 51-year-old mother of four children said Arvin was the sole breadwinner of the family.

Her husband, had suffered a heart attack and was not fit for work.

“It would have been better if God had taken my home instead of my son,” she cried.

“For ten years he stayed at my sisters-in-law’s (Prabha Wati) place in Naduna, Labasa, while working as an electrician,” Mrs Wati said.

“He used to send us money and the last time I saw him was three weeks ago when he gave money for his younger sister’s back to school shopping.

“I will never be able to get my son back.”

“My husband is still trying to come to terms with the loss.”

Prabha Wati (Mr Lal’s mother) said the late Mr Singh used to be the first one in the house to wake up and that day he happily left the house for work.

Lal’s Motor Winding Services owner Arvin Lal said it was an unfortunate incident and was unable to comment further until the post-mortem results were known.

Ms Naisoro said investigations continue.




Fijisun Ad Space

Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.

By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.

Fiji Sun Instagram