Court News

Suva Man’s Indecent Assault Trial Begins

Before the commencement of the trial, Ms Shameem sought an order from the Chief Magistrate for the name suppression of the two complainants and for closed court while the two complainant’s gave evidence.
16 Mar 2021 12:14
Suva Man’s Indecent Assault Trial Begins
Court

The trial of a Suva man, charged with indecent assault, began at the Magistrates Court in Suva yesterday.

The accused appeared before Chief Magistrate Usaia Ratuvili.

The accused is charged with three counts of indecent assault.

For the first two counts of indecent assault, this is in relation to the first complainant, who alleged that the accused committed the offence on two separate occasions in the months of June and September, 2019.

The third count of indecent assault is in relation to the second complainant who alleged that the accused committed the offence in May, 2019.

The accused maintained his not guilty plea and the matter proceeded to trial.

The state was represented by counsels Meli Vosawale, Sadaf Shameem and Joeli Nasa from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The accused was represented by lawyer Hemendra Nagin from Sherani & Co.

Before the commencement of the trial, Ms Shameem sought an order from the Chief Magistrate for the name suppression of the two complainants and for closed court while the two complainant’s gave evidence.

Mr Nagin did not object to the orders sought.

Mr Nagin sought for the court’s order for a name suppression of the accused throughout the trial and a closed court for the accused’s evidence, if required.

The State prosecutors did not object to the order sought.

The Chief Magistrate granted the orders accordingly and the trial proceeded.

 

Prosecution’s witness:

Detective Sergeant Gasio Rokodulu took the stand as the prosecution’s witness yesterday.

He told the court that he was a crime scene photographer and that he was instructed by the investigation officer to take photographs of the office previously held by the accused.

He told the court that he did not recall seeing glass doors or windows on either side of the lift when he entered the office.

During the cross examination, Sergeant Rokodulu told the court that he was aware of the fact that the photographs of the office were taken a year after the alleged incidents took place.

He further testified that he was not aware the office was renovated from November 13, 2019.

The trial continues before the Chief Magistrate today.

Bail for the accused has been further extended by the Magistrates Court.



Laybuy it 5squares


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper