NEWS

Woman From Recent Makoi Cluster Dies From COVID-19

I’m sad to report that, despite the best efforts of her attending physicians, she has passed away.
13 May 2021 20:40
Woman From Recent Makoi Cluster Dies From COVID-19
Permanent Secretary for Health and Medical Services Dr James Fong during the national announcement on Thursday 13 May, 2021.

Fiji recorded its second death from COVID-19 due to the current outbreak.

The announcement was made by the Permanent Secretary for Health and Medical Services, Dr James Fong.

“Last night, one of our COVID-positive patients, a woman from the recent Makoi cluster, was entered into intensive care after her condition began rapidly deteriorating. I’m sad to report that, despite the best efforts of her attending physicians, she has passed away.

On Monday, Dr Fong had announced that the woman from Kalokalo Crescent, Makoi had presented to the Makoi health centre with COVID symptoms.

At the time, the Ministry of Health was not able to establish an links between woman and other cases.

The case was treated as another case of community transmission.

During the national address today, Dr Fong said they had informed the woman’s family of her passing and offered them sincere condolences well before making the announcement to the nation.

“We wanted them to have time to process this privately. Tonight, I offer the nation my Ministry’s total commitment to spare as many families as we can from the tragedy of seeing loved ones lost to this terrible disease.”

While this is Fiji’s fourth reported death due to the coronavirus, it is our second death of a person who had contracted the virus locally due to this outbreak, Dr Fong said.

“It serves as yet another painful reminder of the severity of the threat that we face. We are dealing with a virus that has claimed more than 3.7 million lives around the world. Many more Fijian lives could all-too-easily add to that sobering figure. But that does not have to happen.”

Dr Fong remained positive despite announcing four new cases of COVID-19.

“The war against this virus is still winnable. Many thousands of lives can still be saved. Today, tomorrow, and every day after, for all of the foreseeable future, we will tell you what steps you can take to protect yourself and protect the ones you love. Listen often, listen well, and please adhere to every word of the advice we have to give. ”

Dr Fong outlined the four new cases:

  • The first case is from Makoi and presented to Oceania Hospital with symptoms. At this early stage of the investigation this case has no known links to other cases. The Oceania Hospital outpatients department was temporarily closed yesterday for contact tracing and decontamination. Anyone who potentially had contact with this case at the hospital has been quarantined.
  • The next case is also from Makoi and is an administration staff member of Fiji CDC. According to Fiji CDC protocol he was tested after returning this week from annual leave.
  • The next two cases are administrative staff at the Fiji CDC who had tested negative during routine testing earlier this week, but tested positive as part of contact tracing for this new case.

Dr Fong said the three staff who have tested positive for the virus have been transferred to isolation facilities.

READ about Fiji’s first death of the person who contracted the virus locally.



Five Square da bang online sale


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Total
Covid 19 - SPC
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper