NEWS

Rabuku Ordered to File Bail Application for his 12 Clients

They are charged with various offences including one count of malicious act, three counts of assault causing actual bodily harm, one count of damaging property and two counts of criminal trespass.
22 Oct 2021 10:20
Rabuku Ordered to File Bail Application for his 12 Clients
Some of the twelve Nakelo brawl accuse outside Nausori Court on 21, October 2021. (Inset from left: Sairusi Turagalailai, Vilikesa Taka, Luke Erenavula, Epeneri Taka and Ulaiasi Taka) at the Nausori Magistrates Court on October 21, 2021. Photos: Ronald Kumar

Twelve men have been remanded in custody for their alleged involvement in a violent attack against a family in Nakelo earlier this week.

They are Noa Bula, 23, farmers Luke Erenavula, 27, Inoke Ravuca Taka, 20, Epineri Ranamu Taka, 28, Niko Taka, 27, security officer Navitalai Naivalutibau Taka, 41, telecommunications officer Sakura Vunakivei Mate, 52, Ulaiasi Uto Taka, 46, farmers Niko Taka, 43, Vilikesa Taka, 39, Waisake Taka, 32, Sairusi Turagalailai, 21.

The 12 accused persons appeared at the Magistrates Court in Nausori before Magistrate Supreena Naidu.

They are charged with various offences including one count of malicious act, three counts of assault causing actual bodily harm, one count of damaging property and two counts of criminal trespass.

The 12 men were represented by lawyer John Rabuku from Law Solutions while Police Inspector Yasin Ali appeared for prosecution.

 

Bail arguments

Inspector Ali told the court the case was of national interest and sought an order to remand the accused persons in custody.

He said the allegations were serious and there was no indication of a reconciliation at this stage.

He added that it was for the safety of the accused persons to be kept in custody.

Inspector Ali said given the COVID-19 protocol at the Remand Centre, Police was willing to organise facilities for the accused persons to be kept in Police custody.

He used the Nabua alleged brawlers case as an example to keep the 12 men in custody until they filed a formal bail application.

Mr Rabuku objected to claims by Inspector Ali and told the court that attempts of reconciliation were made.

On the point of national interest, he said there was no control over social media and the video that went viral drew public attention.

Mr Rabuku claimed the case arose out of a group of divers renting at a shop at Nakelo.

He told the court that the accused persons were treated badly by those divers from Batiki.

He added the 12 men were simple villagers with no history of violence or previous convictions.

Mr Rabuku said this case was totally different from the Nabua case.

 

Magistrate’s order

Magistrate Naidu told Mr Rabuku the court would not accept any information given as evidence from the bar table.

She said the bail act provided that bail was an individual’s right, however the court’s hands were tied.

She ordered Mr Rabuku to file a formal bail application of all accused persons.

She also ordered prosecution to simultaneously file affidavit to rebut bail.

Bail ruling will be delivered by the Magistrate on November 3.

All accused persons are ordered to be remanded at the Suva Remand Centre until November 3.

Feedback: ashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj

 

 



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Tower Insurance
Advertise here
Covid 19 - SPC
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper