NEWS

Double Storey Property Lost in Fire

Property owners were away to pick up their children when the fire occurred.
11 Jul 2022 14:30
Double Storey Property Lost in Fire
The double storey property engullfed in fire at Waiqele, Labasa on July 10, 2022. Photo: Facebook\Kamlesh Lal

A Labasa couple is in shock after they lost a property to a fire in Waiqele yesterday.

The couple had bought the property five years ago.

Arunesh Chand and his wife Suman Devi left their house early morning for Seaqaqa to Bulileka to pick their two children.

 

Mr Chand said he received a call from a neighbour before 1pm informing them that their property was on fire.

“I called again to confirm with my neighbour but by that time the fire had spread all over the property,” Mr Chand said.

“The fire officers came and we worked together with the help of the neighbours. We managed to save the kava business area and canteen.”

 

The 44-year-old businessman, sugarcane and livestock farmer said they couldn’t save their household items and children’s school stationeries.

“I don’t know the total cost of damages as the bottom flat was given on rent to an electrical company,” he said.

“However, according to our initial findings maybe about half a million dollars of damages have been done.”

He said the cause of the fire was yet to be determined.

Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said Police was working together with the National Fire Authority to investigate the incident.

 

Feedback: shratikan@fijisun.com.fj



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Subscribe-to-Newspaper