Rugby | SPORTS

Parents Shed Light On Daughter’s Death

More light has been shed into the death of 19-year-old Nadroga women’s rug­by player Monika Koroidrekelevu.
11 Aug 2022 12:49
Parents Shed Light On Daughter’s Death
The late Nadroga rugby player, Monika Koroidrekelevu.

More light has been shed into the death of 19-year-old Nadroga women’s rug­by player Monika Koroidrekelevu.

It was alleged that she had sus­tained spinal injuries while play­ing for Nadroga against Naitasiri in the ANZ Marama Championship match in June.

Dad Joseva Koroidrekelevu told SUNsports yesterday that her daughter had played throughout that match .

But it was the next day that she complained of back pain to her mother.


“I told her not to play rugby the week after the game against Naita­siri because of her back pain but she insisted on playing,” recalled her mum Torika Koroidrekelevu.

She said her daughter returned to the team’s camp in Nasama Village but was back home early the next day complaining of stomach pain.

“Monika left their camp at 4am and walked from Nasama to Vo­livoli. We were still asleep when she knocked at the door. She covered herself with a blanket and was in pain.”

Later in the day, her mother said, Monika felt better and attended the team’s training run at the sand dunes. After training, she was again troubled by the back pain and her mother had to take her home from the team’s camp.

She said she took her daughter to a bone masseur at Nadroumai Vil­lage but the pain got worse.


“We took her to Sigatoka Hospi­tal and were told to admit her. She was able to walk. Soon after that she (Monika) asked to use the re­stroom, before she reached it, her legs gave up and she fell down. She was paralyzed.

“We went for x-rays and scans. She was admitted at the Lautoka Hospi­tal and doctors said they could see a boil on her back,” she said.

Koroidrekelevu said they also went to Suva for another scan and the doctors wanted to drain out the pus.

However, they had to return to Si­gatoka.

“We paid $580 for the ambulance to drop us off in Sigatoka. So we stayed at my eldest sister’s place in Lawaqa, and from June to July, she was in bed.”


Her mother said there was hope when Monika started to move her body and she started eating again.

“Last Thursday, at around 9am we were talking, I realised that she kept staring at me and she was not able to recognise me,” Mrs Koro­idrekelevu said.

“I kept calling her but she was say­ing Na (mum),” she added.

Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said the post mortem was conduct­ed on Tuesday but they were still waiting for the results.

Monika will be buried today at Vo­livoli Village in Sigatoka.


Got A News Tip

Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.

By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.

For All Fiji Sun Advertising
Fijisun E-edition