Overnight phone charging sparks blaze in Lautoka

NFA Acting Chief Executive Officer Joel Israel said the incident was a stark reminder of how quickly electrical fires can escalate while families are asleep.

Wednesday 18 February 2026 | 19:00

Firefighters working to contain the blaze at Saru Back Road in Lautoka on early Sunday morning.

Firefighters working to contain the blaze at Saru Back Road in Lautoka on early Sunday morning.

National Fire Authority

The National Fire Authority (NFA) is urging Fijians to stop charging mobile phones overnight following a devastating house fire at Saru Back Road in Lautoka early Sunday morning.

NFA Acting Chief Executive Officer Joel Israel said the incident was a stark reminder of how quickly electrical fires can escalate while families are asleep.

“While we are grateful that no lives were lost in this incident, it serves as a strong reminder of the dangers associated with unattended charging devices,” Israel said.

“Electrical fires can escalate rapidly, especially at night when occupants are asleep.”

He urged the public to avoid charging devices on flammable surfaces and to regularly check that wiring and chargers are in good condition.

“A simple safety check can save lives and property. The public is urged to prioritise fire safety practices in their homes and dial 910 immediately in any emergency,” he said.

The two-bedroom home of 30-year-old Binitesh Sharma was completely destroyed in the blaze shortly after midnight on February 15.

Sharma lived in the house with his 72-year-old mother, Veenat Kumari.

Preliminary findings suggest the fire may have started from a mobile phone that had been left charging before Sharma went to bed.

He reportedly heard a sparking sound, felt heat and saw flames on the wall before quickly alerting his mother.

Both escaped unharmed.

The Lautoka Control Room received the emergency call at 12.29am from the National Command Centre.

Two fire appliances with nine officers and Ambulance 3 were dispatched, arriving within seven minutes to find the corrugated iron and timber structure fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters established two hose lines from the tank supply and contained the blaze by 1am.

However, the 21-by-10-foot home was completely destroyed, with losses estimated at $80,000.

A full investigation is under way.



Explore more on these topics