Dead fish claims prompt Qawa River tests

Environment Ministry warns of strict action if environmental conditions were breached

Tuesday 18 August 2026 | 05:00

Updated 18 August 2026 | 09:47 FJT

Pictured is the polluted Qawa River in Labasa. Inset: Dead fish.

Pictured is the polluted Qawa River in Labasa. Inset: Dead fish.

Photos: RS Kordy/Facebook

The Ministry of Environment has conducted tests at Qawa River in Labasa following allegations of wastewater discharge by a public enterprise company.

An individual on Facebook who identifies as a vasu of the Vanua of Qawa raised the issue last week.

The post alleged that dead fish and a strong stench had been observed near Vulovi Bridge, Labasa, during the current cane-crushing season.

"Over the past few days, as we crossed the Vulovi Bridge, the stench of dead fish was overwhelming. Sadly, this is not new. It has been the grim reality, year after year, during the cane crushing season.

What pains me most is that this desecration is happening to my Mother’s Vanua. The Qawa River is not merely a waterway. For generations, it has been the lifeblood and livelihood of the landowners of Qawa and the hundreds of Fijian families across Fiji who reside and work here in Labasa. They depend on it for fish, crabs, fresh water mussels and sustenance for their families," the post stated.

The Facebook post also claimed the Qawa River had suffered repeated environmental degradation during the approximately six-month crushing season, affecting fish, crabs and freshwater mussels relied upon by local families.

The writer called for Government authorities to visit Bulileka Village, Labasa, and hold a talanoa with Qawa landowners to hear their concerns.

The post also called for long-term alternatives to the current sugar model, suggesting high-value crops such as cassava for Northern Fiji.

Divisional Health Inspector Northern Vakaruru Cavuilati said the tests were conducted last week after allegations surfaced on social media that a number of fish had died following the alleged discharge.

Mr Cavuilati confirmed a meeting would be held today with ministry staff to fully understand the cause of the wastewater discharge.

“We have to identify the secondary risks to seafood, human life and nearby community, and determine how to reduce this impact,” he said.

Mr Cavuilati said if the Environment Management Act conditions were breached, strict action would be taken to ensure environmental safety remained a priority.

Further details on the alleged discharge would be confirmed after the meeting, and Mr Cavuilati said rectification works would be undertaken.

The Ministry's findings following the tests and meeting are expected to provide further clarity on the cause and extent of the alleged discharge.



News you can trust:

This story was verified by multiple sources
This story was fact-checked

Explore more on these topics