‘Not a waste of money’: PM Rabuka defends Commission of Inquiry
PM says 153-page judgment should be read in full before conclusions are made
Monday 17 August 2026 | 10:00
Updated 17 August 2026 | 11:22 FJT
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka has rejected claims that the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) was a waste of public funds after the High Court last week declared its report “null and void”.
Mr Rabuka said the 153-page judgment should be read in full before conclusions were made about the inquiry.
“No, it was not a waste of money,” Mr Rabuka said.
Related stories
He questioned whether those criticising the inquiry had examined the court’s findings on former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali and other matters addressed in the judgment.
“Read the report again,” he said.
Justice Dane Tuiqereqere ruled that the CoI report was null and void and quashed adverse findings after finding them irrational.
The court also found that President Ratu Naiqama Lalabalavu and Prime Minister Rabuka had failed to provide the applicants with natural justice.
The CoI was established to examine issues surrounding the appointment of Ms Malimali as FICAC Commissioner and subsequent events linked to her appointment and removal.
Its findings became the subject of legal challenges, culminating in last week’s High Court ruling.
The case has also carried political consequences for Mr Rabuka.
On February 3, Mr Rabuka said he was considering resigning if the appeal process in the Malimali case failed. This followed an earlier court ruling that found Ms Malimali’s removal as FICAC Commissioner was unlawful.
Feedback: sosiveta.korobiau@fijisun.com.fj