No COVID-19 Recoveries Yet

It has been 27 days since the first case was confirmed. There have also been no new cases since the last case was announced on April 10. Dr Waqainabete said they were very thankful to the medical professionals who were managing the cases.

Wednesday 15 April 2020 | 14:35

Minister of Health Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete during the press conference on April 10, 2020. Photo: Kelera Sovasiga

Minister of Health Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete during the press conference on April 10, 2020. Photo: Kelera Sovasiga

Fiji is yet to register a recovery from COVID-19 as the 16 patients are still confirmed to have the deadly disease.

Minister for Health and Medical Services Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete said they had re-tested patients one to five, and although they were asymptomatic they still tested positive for COVID-19.

It has been 27 days since the first case was confirmed. There have also been no new cases since the last case was announced on April 10. Dr Waqainabete said they were very thankful to the medical professionals who were managing the cases.

He said none of the confirmed cases in Fiji had to use a ventilator.

“Once a patient is put on a ventilator, he or she only has a 50 per cent chance of survival,” Dr Waqainabete said.

“We have been lucky without clinical management of cases that we have not had to do that,” he said.

Nabua containment area

The Nabua containment area where COVID-19 patients six and seven are from will be key in the determination of the lifting of the Suva lockdown.

Dr Waqainabete said there were 23 houses in the Nabua Muslim League community which had been quarantined.

These houses are close by the home of patient six and seven.

All those residing in these homes have been directed to self-isolate.

Dr Waqainanbete said people have been found moving in and out of the confinement area.

He said six men were found out of self-isolation and breached the curfew order.

“This disease COVID-19  is not a joke. It is a killer,” he said.

“We all have to play our part. It is uncomfortable to stay at home because of the restrictions but we must do it.”

Edited by Caroline Ratucadra

Feedbackshalveen.chand@fijisun.com.fj