Maharaj to undergo CWM check-up after telling court of abdominal mass

During proceedings, Maharaj told the court she needed a medical check-up after doctors found a mass growing in her abdomen.

Thursday 20 August 2026 | 11:30

Zoe Maharaj outside Magistrate Court on July 7, 2026.

Drug accused Zoe Maharaj outside Suva Magistrate Court on July 7, 2026.

Photo: Ronald Kumar

The Suva Magistrates Court has granted Zoe Maharaj’s request for a medical check-up at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital (CWM Hospital).

Maharaj, who faces charges of possession of illicit drugs, possession of property believed to be proceeds of crime, going equipped for theft or a property offence, and unlawful possession of explosives, appeared before Resident Magistrate Pulekeria Low today for her fourth bail application.

The charges relate to an incident earlier this year following an unexpected spot check in Lami.

During proceedings, Maharaj told the court she needed a medical check-up after doctors found a mass growing in her abdomen.

She told the court she needed to be reviewed for surgery and that her two-week supply of medication had run out.

She also sought to have her prescriptions renewed because she was in pain.

State prosecutor Livai Tuivuya objected to her bail application, citing the lack of evidence attached to support the medical requests.

However, he noted that a discharge paper from CWM Hospital dated July 30 had been attached.

The State maintained its objection to bail, given that the trial had already been fixed for October 6.

The court granted Maharaj’s request and ordered that she be taken to CWM Hospital for a medical check-up at the earliest opportunity.

The court also cancelled the bench warrant for Maharaj’s co-accused, Ledua Gudru.

Gudru appeared yesterday morning with a heavily bandaged leg and crutches.

Both accused will remain in remand until their next appearance on Wednesday for Maharaj’s bail hearing.



Explore more on these topics