Teachers request transfer after Lakeba incident

Vasu confirmed the school accepted the apology but said the teachers had already made a firm decision to leave.

Wednesday 18 February 2026 | 19:00

Teachers at Ratu Finau Memorial School in Tubou on Lakeba Island have decided to leave their posts despite a formal village apology.

The decision follows an incident last Saturday in which four senior staff members were allegedly threatened with a knife and a spade by two intoxicated men.

Traditional orders were issued by the Turaga na Tui Nayau, Ratu Tevita Mara Uluilakeba, for villagers in Tubou to present a customary apology to the school.

Community members gathered on Tuesday afternoon to seek forgiveness from the teachers.

Those threatened were school principal Vuniani Vasu and three heads of department:

  • Computer Studies – Iobeto Taukeisali
  • Industrial Arts – Manasa Yavala
  • Mathematics and Physics – Luke Latidreketi

Vasu confirmed the school accepted the apology but said the teachers had already made a firm decision to leave.

“We acknowledge and respect the village’s apology. But the safety of our teachers must come first,” he said.

“The teachers have decided to leave, and we are now waiting for guidance from the Ministry of Education.”

Responding to concerns about the teachers’ departure, Turaga na Roko Tui Lau Jioji Tupou Kalounivalu urged authorities to act quickly to protect students’ learning.

“We respectfully plead with the Ministry of Education to send replacement teachers as soon as possible so our children’s learning is not disrupted,” he said.

However, the incident has raised fresh concerns about teacher safety in remote island schools in Lau Province, where staffing gaps can quickly affect classes when educators withdraw.



Explore more on these topics