127 Fijians To Leave For PALM Scheme

One successful applicant, Vilisi Tabua, said the opportunity presented to her was a blessing.

Sunday 13 November 2022 | 19:47

Vilisi Tabua and Minister for Employment, Productivity and Industrial Relations, Parveen Bala during the pre-departure ceremony in Suva on November 9, 2022. Photo: Jone Salusalu

Vilisi Tabua and Minister for Employment, Productivity and Industrial Relations, Parveen Bala during the pre-departure ceremony in Suva on November 9, 2022. Photo: Jone Salusalu

One hundred twenty-seven Fijians will soon depart the country for the Pacific Aus­tralia Labour Mobility (PALM) scheme.

While addressing these workers during their pre-departure ceremo­ny the Minister for Employment, Productivity and Industrial Rela­tions, Parveen Bala reminded them of the opportunity they had been absorbed into.

“This pre-departure briefing does not come cheap, yet we do it be­cause we are training the best,” he said. “And I have no doubt, that the return on this investment will be worthwhile.”

Mr Bala told workers of the re­sponsibility they now had.

He said projecting a good image of themselves would mean better chances for more Fijians to enter the scheme in the future.

He said the workers were also pro­tected under the scheme and for them not to be swayed by fake news that was often disseminated on so­cial media.

“Fake news from time to time, tar­geted to mirror a bad image for the scheme,” he said. “Keeping flexible and consistent employment for Fi­jians has become a constant provi­sion for the Government.”

Mr Bala encouraged workers to make decisions that would benefit them when they return to Fiji.

Vilisi thankful

One successful applicant, Vilisi Tabua, said the opportunity pre­sented to her was a blessing.

Prior to applying for the scheme last year, the 25-year-old only had casual employment.

She said the opportunity would now help her in many ways.

“I have now secured employment that only many could dream of, this opportunity will aid me with suf­ficient finances for my son’s future education,” Ms Tabua said.

She also commended the Govern­ment for such an initiative.

Feedback: jone.salusalu@fijisun.com.fj