13-Month- Old Drowns In Musket Cove Bay
“It is alleged that the victim was strapped in a harness on the deck, watching a movie whilst her parents went to the galley to cook dinner,” Mr Bautolu said.
Monday 31 July 2023 | 18:23
An investigation is underway to determine the heartbreaking circumstances surrounding the alleged drowning of a 13-month-old New Zealand baby.
The incident occurred last Friday afternoon in the waters of Musket Cove Bay, Malolo.
Police spokesperson Wame Bautolu said the victim was on board a yacht docked in Musket Cove Bay with her parents at the time of the tragedy.
Related stories
The Kiwi family arrived in the country on July 26 and had been moored at the picturesque location.
“It is alleged that the victim was strapped in a harness on the deck, watching a movie whilst her parents went to the galley to cook dinner,” Mr Bautolu said.
When they returned to the deck, they could not locate their daughter, prompting an immediate search.
“She was found floating in the sea, and attempts made to revive her proved futile.”
Investigations continue.
Tourism Fiji shared their deepest condolences to the grieving family in a statement.
“It’s a real tragedy but we need more information from the investigation. Appears to be a very tragic and sad accident on a private vessel,” the statement said.
Fellow cruiser Grace Palos set up a ‘Give a little’ page to support the family during this challenging time. The funds collected will help cover expenses for flights back to New Zealand, funeral arrangements, and provide assistance to the family.
As of yesterday, NZ$21,015 was raised.
Story by: Waisea Nasokia - waisean@fijisun.com.fj