30-Year-Old Man Charged With Manslaughter
Legal Aid Commission Talei Kean told the court that the accused had engaged his legal representation from Legal Aid and that the Legal Aid has taken over the file from the lawyer previously engaged.
Saturday 27 April 2019 | 10:00
A 30-year-old employee of Communications Fiji Limited who allegedly killed two sisters will have his trial at the High Court in Suva in June.
The trial will be before Judge Justice Salesi Temo.
Viliame Ratoto is charged with two counts of manslaughter and one count of breach of zero alcohol limit and one count of disobedience. Defence lawyer from the
Related stories
Legal Aid Commission Talei Kean told the court that the accused had engaged his legal representation from Legal Aid and that the Legal Aid has taken over the file from the lawyer previously engaged.
The case was adjourned to June 7 for a pre-trial conference and to fix trial dates.
Ratoto’s bail was further extended.
The Charges:
On the first count of manslaughter, it is alleged that on September 16, 2018 at Kanace Road in Nasinu, the accused engaged in a conduct by driving a motor vehicle in a manner which was reckless and caused serious harm to Archana Amrita Chand, which resulted in her death.
For the second count of manslaughter, on the same day Ratoto allegedly drove the vehicle along Kanace Road in Valelevu in a manner which was dangerous to the public having regards to all the circumstances of the case, as a result caused bodily injuries to 35-year-old Anjula Chand, resulting in her death as well.
For the count of breach of zero alcohol, it is alleged that Ratoto on September 16, 2018, at Kanace Road in Nasinu, the accused drove a motor vehicle along Kanace
Road while there was a concentration of 1562.2 milligrams of alcohol present in 100 millilitres of his blood, which was in excess of the prescribed limit.
For the count of disobedience of lawful orders, it is alleged that on July 10, 2018, at Nasinu Magistrates Court gave an order to the accused to be disqualified from driving for six months,Ratoto disobeyed the order by driving a motor vehicle on September 16, 2018, along Kanace Road
Edited by Susana Tuilau
Feedback: ashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj