‘Access Learning Materials On May 14’
Parents and guardians can access learning resource materials for home-based activities from their schools on May 14.
Saturday 18 April 2020 | 13:36
Parents and guardians can access learning resource materials for home-based activities from their schools on May 14.
This is an initiative put in place by the Ministry of Education, Heritage and Arts as it announced the further closure of schools until June 16 amid the COVID-19 outbreak in the country.
Minister Rosy Akbar said teachers had to report to their schools on April 20 to be able to facilitate those teaching materials.
Related stories
“These are not normal times as we fight the COVID-19 battle and also assess the damages to school infrastructure left by TC Harold,” Ms Akbar said.
“Where teachers cannot report to their schools, they are to liaise with their Heads of Schools and work from home.
She said no students were to go to school to receive their learning resources from teachers.
External examination
“When schools resume classes, external examinations will be conducted for Year 8,” Ms Akbar said.
“Literacy and numeracy examinations for Year 5 and Year 7 and standard examination for Year 9 and Year 11, and of course for Years 12 and 13.”
“We are also pleased to announce that parents and children can have access to a free to air educational channel on Walesi TV from Monday, April 27. Additional information will be released soon.”
TC Harold damage
Ms Akbar said they were awaiting a detailed damage assessment by the National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) teams in affected areas to map out a Ministry response plan.
“We cannot make out a response plan at the moment because we have not received all the details of the damages.
“Once this comes in, we will map out a response plan on the damages.”
NDMO had earlier forecasted that about 60 schools had sustained severe or partial damages.
Edited by Ivamere Nataro
Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj