Advisor yet to be hired: Rabuka

"No, not yet," Mr Rabuka said.

Wednesday 21 May 2025 | 16:15

Updated 08 August 2025 | 15:42 FJT

Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka. Photo: Inoke Rabonu

Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka. Photo: Inoke Rabonu

Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka yesterday said no one had been appointed to the newly established National Security Advisor position.

"No, not yet," Mr Rabuka said yesterday.

The Prime Minister was responding to questions about the establishment of the Office of National Security Assessments, which was approved during the 7th Cabinet meeting held on May 6.

Mr Rabuka explained that the new office would address deeper security concerns beyond what existing agencies currently handle.

"We have not really appreciated the threat we have. We have special agencies like the Police, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and FICAC," he said.

"These are all surface matters and when you're looking at national security, it's deeper than that and it's also broader than national issues."

According to the Cabinet decision, the ONSA will provide advice directly to the Prime Minister and government on occurrences that impact national security and integrity.

The establishment of the office represents what the government describes as "an important step to enhance the country's national security and defence capabilities."

Feedback: kaneta.naimatau@fijisun.com.fj