Aussie Soldiers Here To Help In School Rebuilding

The Australian Defence Force will build two concrete classroom blocks consisting of three classrooms each.

Thursday 26 August 2021 | 15:39

ADF and RFMF soldiers at work on Galoa Island. Photo: Australian Defence Force

ADF and RFMF soldiers at work on Galoa Island. Photo: Australian Defence Force

Australian Defence Force personnel are in the coun­try currently under quarantine awaiting comple­tion of isolation.

The team are part of group that would be deployed to car­ry out the first phase of rebuilding nine schools damaged by Tropical Cyclone Yasa.

This is part of the Australian government’s commitment of $19 million for rehabilitating schools in the North.

Former Minister for Education Rosy Akbar whilst in of­fice on Monday said $8 million had been allocated by the Government towards the first of the three phases of this project.

“This will be used to rebuild Nukubolu Primary School in Cakaudrove and Wailevu West District School in Caka­udrove and Ratu Luke Primary School in Bua,” Ms Akbar said on Monday.

First up on the list of schools to be done is Lekutu Second­ary School in Bua. Most buildings of the school suffered damages during Cyclone Yasa.

The Australian Defence Force will build two concrete classroom blocks consisting of three classrooms each.

Work is planned to commence this month with a finish time targeted for November 2021.

After which, the personnel will redeploy in 2022 to com­plete all other works as per the project schedule.

The new structures would be constructed to withstand category five cyclones.

The ADF personnel would be assisted by officers of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces.