Australian Stabbing Probe
Australian tourist Clayton Brett is reported to be in a very serious condition at a hospital in Australia after he was involved in an alleged stabbing incident in Ba last week.
Monday 13 May 2024 | 16:31
Australian tourist Clayton Brett is reported to be in a very serious condition at a hospital in Australia after he was involved in an alleged stabbing incident in Ba last week.
Mr Brett's family members are extremely concerned about his condition after he was airlifted from Fiji on Friday.
He is reported to be in coma.
Related stories
The 43-year-old was allegedly stabbed and sought assistance at a private hospital before being referred to the Aspen medical managed Ba Hospital, and later
to the Lautoka Hospital.
Divisional Police Commander West Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Iakobo Vaisewa said the initial report received was that he allegedly stabbed
himself during an argument with his wife, an iTaukei.
Mr Brett is admitted at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne and is in a medically induced coma.
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson said it had provided consular assistance to the family of an Australian in Fiji.
“Owing to our privacy obligations we cannot provide further comment,” the department said.
Consular assistance may include liaison with or visits to local hospitals, liaison with local authorities, provision of lists of medical providers and assistance communicating with family members or nominated contacts.
Consular staff cannot provide medical services or medications, pay for medical costs or query treatment regimens on behalf of Australians overseas. Smartraveller outlines what to do if someone is unwell overseas.
Mr Brett’s family was expecting him in Australia last week and when he didn’t fly home, they called hospitals in the West.
7NEWS Melbourne reported that after conducting inquiries at various medical facilities in Fiji, they eventually located him.
The reported cost to repatriate him was AUD$145,000, but when combined with treatment expenses, the sum exceeded Aud$200,000.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help raise funds with roughly AUD$15,000 collected so far.
His father Terry Brett told 7NEWS Melbourne that friends and family had to scrounge around for enough money to pay for his son’s medical evacuation.
“It is a very difficult situation for our family at the moment,” Mr Brett said.
“The worry was for us that if we didn’t get him home then we possibly wouldn’t get him home.”
Tourism Fiji confirmed it was aware of the report however the matter was still a police investigation. Considering the matter being a private dispute, tourists travelling to Fiji can rest assure that this poses no direct threat.
“We are aware of the reporting of a recent incident involving an Australian tourist in Fiji, presenting to hospital with a stab wound.
The tourist has subsequently been well treated in Fiji and medevac’d out of Fiji back to Australia for the medical care he requires,” Tourism Fiji said.
“Police investigations are ongoing, however to date, those investigations have revealed no evidence of foul play.
The Australian High Commission has confirmed that incidents such as these are extremely rare.
In Fiji we take safety, and the safety of our tourist guests seriously, and wish the gentleman concerned a full recovery.”
Feedback: wati.talebula@fijisun.com.fj