Bail refused for theft accused

-

Wednesday 07 February 2018 | 10:00

A 47-year-old self-employed man of Makoi was refused bail in the Suva Magistrates Court on Friday because he had other cases pending against him.

The accused, Makario Anisimai, appeared before Magistrate Li­yanage Wickramasekara charged with one count of theft.

On January 26, 2018 Anisimai al­legedly stole a white Samsung Gal­axy S6 phone valued at $700 with the intention to permanently de­prive the owner of her property.

The alleged incident happened between 12:50pm and 1:30pm at the Fiji National University Dental Clinic at the Colonial War Memo­rial hospital when the accused had gone for check-up.

The complainant had left her phone charging inside the nursing station and had gone out for lunch, however, when she returned the phone was missing.

Police Prosecutor Constable Wal­ter Taito served the accused with full phase disclosures and his right to counsel was read out to him in court.

The accused said he would engage the services of a private lawyer.

Constable Taito requested for Ani­simai to be remanded in custody be­cause he was being investigated for several offences of a similar nature.

Constable Taito also submitted Anisimai’s previous convictions and said there was a likelihood that he would commit another offence while on bail.

Prosecution also submitted that they had a strong case against Ani­simai because the stolen item was recovered on him.

Meanwhile, Anisimai made an ap­plication for bail on the ground that he was residing with his daughter who was to start school at the Uni­versity of the South Pacific.

Anisimai said his daughter had been staying alone since his arrest on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 and there was no one available to look after her. He submitted that if re­leased on bail he would cooperate with Police until the completion of investigations.

The court also heard that he was employed as a joiner at a construc­tion company.

After considering submissions from both parties, Magistrate Wickramasekara refused Anisi­mai’s bail in the interest of justice because of investigations pending against him.

The case was adjourned to Febru­ary 19, 2018 for mention.

Anisimai was remanded in cus­tody.

Edited by Naisa Koroi

Feedback: fonua.talei@fijisun.com.fj