Bainimarama, Qiliho Await High Court Transfer Decision
Prosecution told the court that they would not be filing a response to the affidavit submitted by the defence.
Thursday 22 May 2025 | 17:34
Updated 08 August 2025 | 15:41 FJT
Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho at the Suva Magistrate Court on May 21, 2025. Photos: Asenaca Ratu
The Suva Magistrate Court has adjourned the hearing of an application to transfer the case involving former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho to the High Court.
Defence counsel Devanesh Sharma requested additional time to respond to the prosecution’s application and to consult with his clients.
Magistrate Shageeth Somaratne granted the defence until next Wednesday to file its response. The matter has been adjourned to June 2.
Related stories
Prosecution told the court that they would not be filing a response to the affidavit submitted by the def ence.
Bainimarama faces one count of making an unwarranted demand by a public official, while Qiliho is charged with two counts of abuse of office.
It is alleged that between May 21 and August 18, 2021, Bainimarama, then prime minister, instructed then Acting Police Commissioner Rusiate Tudravu to terminate Sergeant Penieli Ratei and Constable Tomasi Naulu. The demand allegedly came with an ultimatum for Tudravu to resign if he failed to comply.
The prosecution claims the demand was made in Bainimarama’s official capacity and intended to influence Tudravu in due exercise of his duties.
Meanwhile, Qiliho is alleged to have abused his authority between August 5 and 18, 2021, by overriding Tudravu’s disciplinary decision and ordering the termination of the two officers. Tudravu had earlier imposed a five-day equivalent paid suspension as punishment.
The prosecution alleges Qiliho’s actions were arbitrary and prejudicial to the rights of the affected officers.
Feedback: sosiveta.korobiau@fijisun.com.fj