Bainimarama, Qiliho bail appeal pending

Justice Prematilaka granted the applicants 21 days to make their submissions on the bail pending appeal, after which the State will be given until January 21 to respond to the applicant’s submissions. 

Wednesday 04 December 2024 | 09:11

Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho.

Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho.

The Fiji Court of Appeal will proceed with hearing the bail pending appeal of the former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho.

Qiliho who is still serving his one-year sentence, appeared before Justice Chandana Prematilaka at the Veiuto Court Complex yesterday with Bainimarama who was granted an early release early last month.

The duo was convicted by the High Court in Suva on March 14 this year. In court, their lawyer, Devanesh Sharma told the court they were withdrawing the motion of conviction and sentencing as the motion was filed on April 23 last year.

Mr Sharma said this motion was related to their application seeking a stay of the duo’s sentencing in the court of appeal, however the matter went ahead still. He said Bainimarama had already been granted an early release, and he was confident that Qiliho would receive the same.

Justice Prematilaka granted the applicants 21 days to make their submissions on the bail pending appeal, after which the State will be given until January 21 to respond to the applicant’s submissions.

Mr Sharma will be given until January 28 to reply to the State prosecution’s response before the next mention date, which is set for January 30.

Feedback: Beranadeta@fijisun.com.fj