Cabinet will decide what’s next: A-G

“We are not going out of the Constitution, we are actually complying with the Constitution. The issue about public consultation will come after this,” he said.

Thursday 13 March 2025 | 10:12

Attorney-General Graham Leung. Photo: Leon Lord

Attorney-General Graham Leung. Photo: Leon Lord

Attorney-General Graham Leung says Cabinet will decide what’s next as far as the review of the 2013 Constitution is concerned.

He made the statement yesterday after Parliament failed to secure a majority to proceed with the Constitution (Amendment) Bill on Tuesday night.

The Government was unable to secure the necessary 41 votes (75 per cent) from Members of Parliament to advance the amendment.

As per Standing Order 93(1) (b), a supermajority of three-quarters of MPs is required for the Bill to move forward.

“Cabinet will decide on what’s best at this point,” Mr Leung said.

“Different people have different views on what should be done at this point. We will take that on board, we are listening,” he said.

“Cabinet will decide on what’s best at this point.”

Minister for Justice Siromi Turaga said it was disappointing that two of the four Opposition members that voted with Government last week went back supporting the Opposition.

“We are disappointed because they can’t see the way forward,” Mr Turaga said.

“We are not going out of the Constitution, we are actually complying with the Constitution. The issue about public consultation will come after this,” he said.

“But they have concluded everything. I guess there is some fear, the two feared something.

“We know our way forward, we are going to the Supreme Court. We tried to make sense of that here but they did not want it.

“Next is court. Next Cabinet is Friday and we will see it then.”

Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj