Camporee To Continue Despite Alleged Drowning Incident
The body of the boy was later found metres from where he was last seen.
Friday 15 December 2023 | 13:00
The 12th Fiji Mission Pathfinder Camporee will continue until Sunday.
This confirmation follows amid streports of an alleged drowning at Naravuka in Seaqaqa, where more than 5000 children and youths are
on a week-long camporee.
Related stories
Police spokesperson Wame Bautolu said a 16-year-old student of Nadi was swept away by strong currents while participating in a water activity.
The body of the boy was later found metres from where he was last seen.
The incident happened on Wednesday.
Mr Bautolu said an investigation was underway.
Camporee co-ordinator Pastor Senitiki Waqa said they were at the early stages of releasing further details about the alleged drowning.
Mr Waqa said they were also still trying to reach the family of the victim.
“I apologise, at this stage, we can’t provide a comment or release any details because we are still trying to notify the boy’s family in Nadi,”
Mr Waqa said. “We want to first inform the father before we can comment any further. The camporee will still conclude on Sunday.
“National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) came here yesterday (Wednesday) to cordon off the area where the incident happened.”
Mr Waqa confirmed that all precautionary measures were in place to avoid such incidents.
The camporee is one of the biggest gatherings of children and youths in the Seventh-day Adventist Church, which often happens
every five years.
It was opened by President Ratu Wiliame Katonivere on Monday.
The latest drowning toll released by the Fiji Police Force from January to November 2023 revealed an alarming increase compared to the
same period in 2022. Fifty-five cases were reported so far this year and the latest drowning will add up to 56.
Feedback: jone.salusalu@fijisun.com.fj