Cane Crushing Season Begins
410,000 tonnes expected to be crushed at Labasa, Crushing at Rarawai and Lautoka Mills yet to be confirmed, Farmer’s hopeful of good season.
Wednesday 16 June 2021 | 10:45
Labourers and members of a sugarcane harvester group in Nanenivuda Village, Seaqaqa, prepare for the new crushing season. Photo: Sampras Anand
Today marks a busy day in Labasa, with cane crushing commencing this morning.
Fiji Sugar Corporation chief executive officer Bhan Pratap Singh said that all COVID related safe protocols would be followed during the crushing season.
He added that they were expecting a good crushing season despite the challenges farmers faced during Tropical Cyclone Yasa and Ana.
Related stories
Mr Singh said all the necessary maintenance and upgrade works had been done in the mill.
Sugarcane farmer, Sevanaia Tuinawau, said the crushing season provided him a new lease of life during this pandemic when money was scarce.
“I am grateful to God that I have my group of labourers and cutters ready to work for me, Mr Sevanaia Tuinawau said.
He said despite the struggles he faced in trying to properly manage his cane crops during the cyclone season, he was hopeful that he would sustain his family’s expenses through the sales.
In Tandravula in Seaqaqa, Ronil Chand is still hoping to find some labours to harvest his cane.
“We are urgently looking for labourers to cut our produce, at the moment we have not received any positive response from them,” he said.
Mr Chand said normally they would produce close to 400 tonnes every year but this year they would be satisfied if they only harvested 150 tonnes considering the destruction left behind by the two recent tropical cyclones.
Mr Chand said he would continue to work hard to provide for his family.
Meanwhile, the Labasa Mill is expecting to crush 410,000 tonnes of sugarcane this year.
Mr Singh said that crushing dates for Rarawai and Lautoka Mill were yet to be confirmed.
Feedback: sampras.anand@fijisun.com.fj