Canteen Works Well For Palato

-

Friday 23 February 2018 | 10:00

Ioane Palato in his canteen. Photo: Wati Talebula

Ioane Palato in his canteen. Photo: Wati Talebula

Ioane Palato is one of the many successful recipients of the Fi­jian Government’s Small and Micro Business Grant scheme.

The scheme is a government ini­tiative designed to encourage busi­ness investments and start-ups.

Mr Palato is 38 years old and hails from Kadavu, but calls Taveuni his home.

“I wanted to start a canteen at home since the shop is far away from home,” Mr Palato said.

“So I bought few items to start off with. Three months later I re­ceived the grant and I am glad for that.”

“It was a great help because I was able to buy more items for my stock. I am more opened minded since I started my small canteen.”

But despite the success so far, Mr Palato said he still faced many challenges daily.

“I don’t have any knowledge in running any business, but I am learning as days go. Through the canteen earnings I was able to buy a generator, fridge and portable tools,” he said.

“I thank the Government for giv­ing us the grant because I was able to start something I always dreamt about and now through the grant my dream of starting a canteen is a reality.”

He is urging other grant recipi­ents to be smart about it and use funds wisely.

Edited by Naisa Koroi

Feedback: wati.talebula@fijisun.com.fj