COI Renews Demand
"The COI is not happy. Ms Malimali sent an email yesterday (Tuesday) questioning Mr Saumi's access to documents. If she had been suspended, this would not have happened," Ms Mason said.
Thursday 27 February 2025 | 14:46
Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC) Commissioner Barbara Malimali.
The Commission of Inquiry (COI) has renewed its call for the suspension of Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC) Commissioner Barbara Malimali.
It warns that her continued influence threatens the inquiry's independence and security of witnesses.
COI's Council Assisting Janet Mason said the inquiry has long been concerned that Ms Malimali could overrule the A cting Deputy Commissioner, Lisiate Fotofili, and retaliate against FICAC staff testifying before the COI.
Related stories
"This has been our fear from day one," Ms Mason said.
The latest push stems from Ms Malimali's complaint over key witness Kuliniasi Saumi's access to FICAC documents.
Mr Saumi, the former FICAC manager of investigations, was dismissed by Ms Malimali on January 24, after submitting an affidavit to the COL
His affidavit included an audio recording from the day Ms Malimali was arrested at FICAC headquarters, on her first day as commissioner.
He testified at the COI yesterday, presenting documents retrievable only from FICAC. COI slams Malimali's continued interference Ms Mason confirmed the inquiry had sought and received assurances from FICAC's acting deputy commissioner that Mr Saumi could access FICAC documents for his testimony.
"We had sought assurances from the current Acting Deputy Commissioner that he (Mr Saumi) would be able to access documents. Also, that staff giving evidence would not suffer consequences," Ms Mason said.
However, she criticised Ms Malimali's continued interference, saying that her three-week leave, requested by Chief Justice and Judicial Services Commission chairperson, Chief Justice Salesi Temo, was inadequate.
"The COI is not happy. Ms Malimali sent an email yesterday (Tuesday) questioning Mr Saumi's access to documents. If she had been suspended, this would not have happened," Ms Mason said.
Malimali's objection
This masthead has obtained an email sent by Ms Malimali to the COI on Tuesday at 9:38am, in which she objected to Mr Saumi entering FICAC premises or accessing documents.
"In my experience, when documents are required and a person is no longer with an organisation, another staff member can produce them," she wrote.
"I have grave concerns about the propriety of this exercise and the security of our documents."
She suggested that FICAC investigator Alifereti Wakanivesi, handled the files instead. COI escalates matter Ms Mason described Ms Malimali's complaint as troubling, given that she is on voluntary leave.
"We have written to the Prime Minister and the President regarding this and other legal options," she said, declining to elaborate further.
Feedback: jone.salusalu@fijisun.com.fj