COVID-19: NZ Not On Blacklist: Health Ministry
Minister for Health and Medical Services Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete said the ministry was moving their preventative measure up by a notch . He also said they trusted the New Zealand public health system.
Sunday 01 March 2020 | 09:10
New Zealand will not be placed on Fiji's coronavirus (COVID-19) blacklist after reports of a confirmed case on Friday, says the Ministry of Health .
New Zealand becomes the nearest country to Fiji affected by the virus, which has infected 84,000 people and killed 2900 globally, so far.
The case in New Zealand is said to have travelled from the Middle East.
Related stories
Minister for Health and Medical Services Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete said the ministry was moving their preventative measure up by a notch . He also said they trusted the New Zealand public health system.
"I know that there is a very strong public health system in New Zealand and we also know that they have strategies in place and it happens by the book and is accepted best practice," he said.
"We are confident that whatever strategy they out in place. We are neighbours and we travel often to New Zealand." Dr Waqainabete said thermal scanners was the next step.
"Government has given $120,000 to bring in the thermal scanners in Fiji. That is the next step in preparation.
We need to be up to date," he said.
Dr Waqainabete warns that despite the best technology, a case was confirmed in New Zealand.
Isolation units have been set up in different divisions in the country, should there be a Coronavirus case.
Travel restriction to those travelling from or transiting throughChina, Italy, Iran and provinces in South Korea still applies.
Edited by Naisa Koroi
Feedback: shalveen.chand@fijisun.com.fj