Destruction of 4.15 Tonnes of Methamphetamine Starts
“The Fiji Police Force is committed to ensuring all the drugs are destroyed, and we are well prepared to do that.
Tuesday 25 February 2025 | 09:34
Members of the Fiji Police forensic department load box’s of methamphetamine to be destroyed at the Dignified Crematorium in Davuilevu on February 24, 2025. Photo: Leon Lord
The Fiji Police Force has assured the public that there is no cause for concern as they began the process of destroying 4.15 tonnes of methamphetamine seized during two major drug raids in Nadi last January.
The destruction is taking place under a High Court order dated December 13, 2024.
Valued at close to $2 billion, the drugs are being vaporised in a furnace, a method practiced by law enforcement agencies worldwide, at the Dignified Crematorium in Davuilevu, Nasinu, under very tight security from both Fiji Police Force (FPF) and the Republic of Fiji Military Forces personnel.
Related stories
FPF director of Operations Senior Superintendent of Police Kasiano Vusonilawe said members of the public can be assured that the police was prepared to carry out the task as they had been preparing for.
“I can assure the public right now that they don’t have to worry about anything,” he said.
“The Fiji Police Force is committed to ensuring all the drugs are destroyed, and we are well prepared to do that.
Members of the Fiji Police forensic department load box’s of methamphetamine to be destroyed at the Dignified Crematorium in Davuilevu on February 24, 2025. Photo: Leon Lord
“Everything is in line with safety measures done from months ago ranging from the ongoing activities around Suva- Nausori corridor and the assistance that can be given by our special branch and intelligence.
“We have also received help from our bilateral partners from USA, New Zealand and Australia through the Duavata partnership.
“Canines from New Zealand were brought in and they did clearance around the area for two days before going back. The set up didn’t just happen today (yesterday), we have been preparing for this months ago, as soon as the application was made in Court, and we have already been preparing for that.
“We assessed the security threat on the ground and other elements and the demarcations for observers and the members of the media and police officers to be placed. This eases the process of this destruction that’s taking place.”
SSP Vusonilawe said the destruction of the drugs would take five to seven days using the two incinerators at the crematorium.
“The drugs will be destroyed slowly because the incinerator outside can only take 50kg of drugs per destruction while the inside can take 100kg. We are working for seven days. That’s in the court order or we might do it in five days.
“I’m sure before the seven days is completed, we should be able to destroy the whole 4.1 tonnes of drugs.”
Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj