Deuba Fire Disrupts Funeral Plans
The 8 people who were in the house at the time of the incident escaped without any injuries.
Thursday 07 March 2019 | 13:57
Livai Ikanikoda, 20, survived the fire that destroyed his family home in Taunovo, Deuba on March 6, 2019. Photo: Ronald Kumar
A family who had lost a father last week was left in despair after the home where they were supposed to hold the funeral in was destroyed in a fire yesterday.
The three-bedroom house in Taunovo, Deuba, was engulfed in flames at around 8.15am.
The 8 people who were in the house at the time of the incident escaped without any injuries.
Related stories
The Deuba house was the home of the late Oliver Mongston and his funeral was expected to take place there this Friday.
Mr Mongston, 54, passed away last Thursday and his family and friends had converged at his residence for funeral preparations.
His nephew, Livai Ikanikoda, said it was a difficult time for the family and the unexpected turn of events has left them in despair.
“I was sleeping in my uncle’s room when the incident occurred,” Mr Ikanikoda said.
“I was trying to pull the blanket over myself when I felt the heat, that’s how I woke up. The stuff in the room including the mats for the funeral were burning.
“My uncle’s funeral was supposed to take place from here. All the preparations were being done.”
He said by the time the National Fire Authority had arrived, it was too late to mitigate the devastation.
Mr Mongston’s funeral will now take place from his brother’s residence, also in Taunovo Deuba NFA is investigating the incident.
Edited by Susana Tuilau
Feedback: neelam.prasad@fijisun.com.fj