'Drugs Shipped Here'

Minister Tikoduadua calls for urgent reforms in wake of largest seizure worth $2billion

Tuesday 16 January 2024 | 13:25

Minister for Home Affairs Pio Tikoduadua in Suva on January 15, 2024. Photo: Leon Lord

Minister for Home Affairs Pio Tikoduadua in Suva on January 15, 2024. Photo: Leon Lord

Police investigations have uncovered that drugs seized on Sunday were imported and not produced locally, as confirmed by the Minister for Home Affairs and Immigration, Pio Tikoduadua.

A staggering three tonnes (3000kg) of illicit drugs, believed to be methamphetamine, were found stored in 797 medium-sized containers discovered in an unoccupied house in Legalega, Nadi.

Destined for Australia and valued at approximately $2 billion according to police sources, this marks the largest drug bust in the country since 2004.

Concerns over border security Mr Tikoduadua expressed concerns about "gaps" in the country's border security system.

Acknowledging weaknesses, he highlighted the need to address vulnerabilities and tighten existing measures to prevent such incidents in the future.

“Obviously, these things have slipped through the net,” the minister said.

“I believe this is not the first time this has happened because there had been major discoveries about this. Why do they continue to happen?

“It points to a weakness of which people who are sending this type of drugs are exploiting.”

Investigation and accountability

The police are actively investigating those involved in what is considered the country’s largest drug bust since 2004.

Mr Tikoduadua said it was vital to hold accountable those responsible for smuggling these illicit substances into the country.

“We need to get to the bottom of it, and those who are found to be bringing this here, because it would be locals, I want them to know that we are on to them, and we will have no leniency or whatsoever on these people,” he said.

Police seize around three tonnes of medium-sized boxes believed to have illicit drugs during a raid in Nadi on January 14, 2024.

Police seize around three tonnes of medium-sized boxes believed to have illicit drugs during a raid in Nadi on January 14, 2024.

Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj