Evacuation centre gets fixed after Cyclone Vasa

'I've learned that this evacuation centre is still yet to have a proper restroom, it's still outside. We will getthe teams tolook at this and help you'

Monday 20 May 2024 | 12:34

Nasawana villagers with Minister for Rural and Maritime Development Sakiasi Ditoka following the commissioning of the retrofitting project in Bua on May 16, 2024. Photo: Jone Salusalu

Nasawana villagers with Minister for Rural and Maritime Development Sakiasi Ditoka following the commissioning of the retrofitting project in Bua on May 16, 2024. Photo: Jone Salusalu

Villagers of Nasawana in the district of Nadi in Bua are grateful following the commissioning of the village's retrofitted evacuation centre on Thursday.

The project cost the Ministry for Rural and Maritime Development $27,500.

The evacuation centre was de­stroyed during Tropical Cyclone Yasa on December 17, 2020.

Since then, the 256 villagers of the 62 households did not have an evacuation centre.

Village headman, Kinijoji Na­deba said this commissioning has given everyone a sigh of relief.

"After the cyclone destroyed the roof, we used it as our village hall and for church service," Mr Na­deba said.

"Women and children were the most affected whenever there is bad weather as there was no roof."

Line Minister, Sakiasi Ditoka re­flected on Government's commit­ment in ensuring that villages in rural and maritime areas have ac­cess to proper evacuation centres.

"We are committed to ensuring you get the best help, rural assis­tance," Mr Ditoka said.

"I've learned that this evacu­ation centre is still yet to have a proper restroom, it's still outside. We will get the teams to look at this and help you."

Feedback: jone.salusalu@fijisun.com.fj