Fate Of Sixty In The Balance
Negotiations are in progress to resolve rising discontent surrounding the fate of workers who claim they should have been reinstated by a Chinese contractor.
Sunday 23 July 2023 | 11:50
Negotiations are in progrNegotiations are in progress to resolve rising discontent surrounding the fate of workers who claim they should have been reinstated by a Chinese contractor.
The Construction, Energy, Timber Workers Union are behind 60 workers that were promised their jobs, after when they were made redundant.
The disgruntled group were former employees of China Railway Number 5 Engineering Group’s (CR5G), and were based in Suva, Rewa, and Korovou.
Related stories
They claim the company breached an agreement dated April, 2023, which guaranteed their jobs.
According to union general secretary John Paul, the agreement stipulated redundant workers from the Central division would be given first priority should the company commence recruiting.
Instead, a new group of workers were hired.
“On two occasions at mediation, CR5G refused to sign the mediated agreement,” Mr Paul said.
“This is absolute discrimination because the workers are union members, and the company does not want workers to join the union.”
Former CR5G foreman Tomasi Tanidrala said the decision not to reinstate former employees as earlier agreed to was unlawful.
Mr Tanidrala worked for the company from 2019-2023 before he and 60 workers were handed redundancy packages earlier this year.
“It’s unlawful because you can’t just promise something, you have to do it,” he said.
“We signed their agreement that we would be given first priority if any recruitment were to take place.
“The agreement says we resume work on August 20, but who can survive that long, people are paying rent and our children are in school.
“It’s not fair because some of us have not been paid our rightful dues to this day.”
Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations Agi Deo Singh confirmed receipt of an official complaint from the union.
“We received an official complaint and are working on it, we are hoping that they raise the questions with the employer to resolve the matter,” he said.
China Railway Engineering Group Number 5 commercial maintenance manager Thomas Zhang said the company recruited some workers who were part of the union.
He reserved further comment pending ongoing talks with the Employment Relations Tribunal.ess to resolve rising discontent surrounding the fate of workers who claim they should have been reinstated by a Chinese contractor.
The Construction, Energy, Timber Workers Union are behind 60 workers that were promised their jobs, after when they were made redundant.
The disgruntled group were former employees of China Railway Number 5 Engineering Group’s (CR5G), and were based in Suva, Rewa, and Korovou.
They claim the company breached an agreement dated April, 2023, which guaranteed their jobs.
According to union general secretary John Paul, the agreement stipulated redundant workers from the Central division would be given first priority should the company commence recruiting.
Instead, a new group of workers were hired.
“On two occasions at mediation, CR5G refused to sign the mediated agreement,” Mr Paul said.
“
This is absolute discrimination because the workers are union members, and the company does not want workers to join the union.”
Former CR5G foreman Tomasi Tanidrala said the decision not to reinstate former employees as earlier agreed to was unlawful.
Mr Tanidrala worked for the company from 2019-2023 before he and 60 workers were handed redundancy packages earlier this year.
“It’s unlawful because you can’t just promise something, you have to do it,” he said.
“We signed their agreement that we would be given first priority if any recruitment were to take place.
“The agreement says we resume work on August 20, but who can survive that long, people are paying rent and our children are in school.
“It’s not fair because some of us have not been paid our rightful dues to this day.”
Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations Agi Deo Singh confirmed receipt of an official complaint from the union.
“We received an official complaint and are working on it, we are hoping that they raise the questions with the employer to resolve the matter,” he said.
China Railway Engineering Group Number 5 commercial maintenance manager Thomas Zhang said the company recruited some workers who were part of the union.
He reserved further comment pending ongoing talks with the Employment Relations Tribunal.
Story By: Salote Qalubau
Feedback: salote.qalubau@fijisun.com.fj