Father wants heads to roll over alleged police brutality

“My son cooks and sell food parcels in Navua at night. Apparently the police officers had been doing their rounds two Saturdays ago when the alleged incident happened.

Thursday 20 February 2025 | 09:37

Iliesa-Mainidua-Jnr

Iliesa Mainiudua Jnr

Supplied

The father of a man, who suffered severe facial and head injuries in an alleged police brutality case, is calling on police leadership to investigate the officers involved.

The alleged incident occurred two Saturdays ago at a service station near Navua Town.

Iliesa Mainiudua Snr expressed his utter disappointment, claiming that the alleged assault against his 32-year-old namesake son was unacceptable.

“His head is swollen, his jaw is swollen and dislocated and the medical officers had wired it to try and hold it together,” Mr Mainiudua said.

“My son cooks and sell food parcels in Navua at night. Apparently the police officers had been doing their rounds two Saturdays ago when the alleged incident happened.

“He was selling food packs that Saturday and was going after a few drunken men who had taken food from him, but had not paid. So, he was going after them.

“The police officers came in to spot check these drunkards and because he was trying to get his money from them, he was also part of the check.

 

“Police had told him to move away, but he kept insisting for the men to give him his money. So, he was also checked, and one of the officers punched him.”

He said his son told him that he has was beaten up on the spot, inside a police vehicle and in the Navua Police Station.

He suffered major injuries and was left at the station, Mr Mainiudua said.

“A police officer we knew saw him when he pleaded for help because he was in pain.

“We then took him to the hospital where he was admitted for almost two weeks. He was only released on Tuesday.

“If he was wrong, then why can’t they just apprehend him, put him in the cell, investigate and let the law take its course through the court.

“For them to do what they did, I am really not happy. It is unacceptable. I was so upset, I wanted to look for the police officer myself.”

 

Police response

The Commissioner of Police Rusiate Tudravu has reiterated his stance on holding police officers accountable if found to be abusing their lawful authority.

“The Criminal Investigations Department is investigating the matter and the victim has been provided regular feedbacks on the investigation,” Commissioner Tudravu said.

“The claims against Police are unfortunate at a time when efforts are being directed towards rebuilding trust,” he said.

“Any act that brings disrepute to the organisation casts a dark shadow on other positive achievements.

“Just as I will not condone unruly behaviour externally, the same applies within, and officers have been warned to strictly enforce the law in accordance with best practices, and anything beyond the scope of lawful authority will not be condoned.”

Mr Tudravu is awaiting the investigation report from the Internal Affairs Unit before deciding disciplinary action against those involved. Investigation into the alleged incident continues.

 

Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj



News you can trust:

This story was verified by multiple sources
This story was fact-checked

Explore more on these topics