Ferris Wheel Ban at Festival Due to Safety Concerns
The concerns stem from an incident at the Fiji Showcase last year, where a 21-year-old woman died after she fell off the Ferris wheel on June 20.
Wednesday 19 June 2024 | 11:08
There will be no ferris wheels operating at the Hibiscus Festival this year, a Suva City Council official has said.
While responding to concerns raised regarding the safety of individuals, the council’s special administrator, Opetaia Ravai, said the committee and the council would prioritise safety during the festival.
The concerns stem from an incident at the Fiji Showcase last year, where a 21-year-old woman died after she fell off the Ferris wheel on June 20.
Related stories
The incident occurred on the first day of the Showcase.
The Fiji Labour Party leader, Mahendra Chaudhry, in a statement yesterday, denounced how relevant authorities were handling the case.
As the anniversary of the horrific accident approaches, Mr Chaudhry said a report on the tragedy had still not been made public.
Employment Minister Agni Deo Singh stands answerable to the people on this, he said.
“This brings home the stark reminder that the people still have no idea how and why the tragedy occurred, when the Ferris wheel was reportedly inspected and certified for operation,” the former prime minister said.
“He has failed to provide justice to the victims... failed in his fiduciary duty to release a report on the findings of the tragedy... failed to hold to account the officers of his ministry who carried out the inspection of the Ferris wheel machinery and authorised its operations... failed to ensure specialised treatment or trauma counselling for the victims and their families.
“This could in all probability end up as a case of criminal negligence causing death.
“Yet in almost 12 months no one has been charged, or a report on the incident released.”
He also claimed the DPP’s office had evidently been sitting on the report for the past six months or so.
“Labour is worried at the total lack of transparency in the handling of the case, and indeed, the complete lack of concern from the ministry about how such disasters could be avoided in the future.
“The people have a right to the assurance that standards of safety are in place when such events are stage.”
ODPP
The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) is still waiting for the police investigation file concerning the incident last June.
The Ministry of Employment, Productivity and Industrial Relations conducted its investigation and submitted their findings with proposed charges to the ODPP on December 18, 2023.
After a comprehensive analysis of the file, the ODPP sent a letter to the Director CID and the ministry on January 4, 2024, with recommendations that the police complete their parallel investigation and submit the file for further analysis of all the evidence.
While the decision on any potential charge’s rests with the ODPP, the ODPP has not yet received any corresponding file from the police in respect to their side of the investigation.
“We are currently waiting for a full police report and completed investigation,” it said.
“Once we receive the police file, we will then be able to make a decision on any potential charges.”
Feedback: sosiveta.korobiau@fijisun.com.fj