‘FINALLY COMPENSATED’

“It was indeed an emotional day for us, we have finally closed this long chapter of hurtfulness and mistreatment,” Mr Singh said.

Friday 04 October 2024 | 14:24

From left: Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka, President of the Vatukoula Gold Mine Workers Union, Josefa Sadreu and Minister for Employment, Productivity and Industrial Relations Agni Deo Singh. Photo: DEPTFO News

From left: Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka, President of the Vatukoula Gold Mine Workers Union, Josefa Sadreu and Minister for Employment, Productivity and Industrial Relations Agni Deo Singh. Photo: DEPTFO News

The world’s longest labour strike staged by members of the Fiji Mine Workers Union for 33 years, finally received their first tranche payment of $3.6 million yesterday.

They were workers of the Vatukoula Gold Mine in the Western Division.

For three decades the miners were on strike against injustices in their employment terms and conditions.

It began in February 27, 1991, when the 368 miners voiced their concerns against improper treatment.

Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka officiated at the compensation payout yesterday.

He said they had no other choice as they were compelled to fight for their rights, dignity, and livelihoods.

Mr Rabuka said since that fateful day, they had been waiting for justice, a wait that stretched on for far too long.

‘We’re Sorry’

Mr Rabuka personally apologised to the elders who were present yesterday, admitting that he could have done something in the early days when he had ministerial authority.

He revealed that $3.6 million will cater for the first tranche payment of $10,000 per mine worker, while the second tranche payment of $15,000 per mine worker will be paid from the 2025-2026 National Budget.

“The impact of this strike has been profound. It has devastated the lives and livelihoods of countless miners and their families. Over the years, we have witnessed families shattered by the weight of uncertainty and despair,” he said.

“Many have struggled to make ends meet, facing challenges that no one should have to endure. The emotional and financial toll has been immense, and the scars of this struggle run deep.”

Mr Rabuka was emotional while delivering his speech and cheque.

He said the cheque represented not only financial support but as compensation for the challenges that resulted from the unresolved employment issues that affected most families’ livelihoods.

“I want to take a moment to express my heartfelt apology to the workers and their dependents for the prolonged wait they have endured,” Mr Rabuka said.

“We recognise the pain and suffering that has accompanied this strike, and we acknowledge the sacrifices made by those who stood firm in their convictions.”

‘Long chapter of hurtfulness’

Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations Agni Deo Singh is no stranger to this 33-year strike as he was part of the initial strike in 1991.

“It was indeed an emotional day for us, we have finally closed this long chapter of hurtfulness and mistreatment,” Mr Singh said.

“What gives me more happiness is that I was part of the workers’ organisation when the first strike happened.

“I continued to be with them, and it’s God’s wish that I’m again here to finally witness this. I acknowledge the Prime Minister and the Minister for Finance.”

‘Vinaka Saka’

The president of the Fiji Mine Workers Union Joseva Sadreu’s first words to Mr Rabuka were unfiltered, Vinaka saka (Thank you sir) was his constant utterance.

“Emotions overtook all of us when the Prime Minister started with his speech and endlessly apologised,” Mr Sadreu said.

“We have fought for too long, we have cried and battled our rights spanning three decades.

“Our prayers and silent battles have finally been answered.”

Feedback: jone.salusalu@fijisun.com.fj