Fire Destroys House, Family of 9 Escapes

Mr Bakeniceva claims that the cost of the damage to his home was around $150,000.

Monday 21 February 2022 | 09:55

Adi Siteri Bakaniceva infront of what is left of her home after a fire in Raralevu Village, Nausori on February 20, 2022. Photo: Niko Rabuku

Adi Siteri Bakaniceva infront of what is left of her home after a fire in Raralevu Village, Nausori on February 20, 2022. Photo: Niko Rabuku

Despite losing everything he owned within minutes in a house fire, Etuate Bakeniceva, 61, thanked God that his family was safe.

The family of nine’s six-bedroom concrete and timber home in Raralevu Village, Tailevu was razed to the ground early Sunday morning, around 2am.

Mr Bakeniceva was still in disbelief because he had just completed renovation works on his house.

“I had just completed renovating my house last December, which cost me more than $30,000. I can’t believe that my years of hard work went up in flames within minutes,” Mr Bakeniceva said.

“The fire happened around 2am and we were all asleep. One of my children woke up and called all of us when he saw that there was a fire in one of the rooms. We suspect that it was from a mosquito coil.

“I want to thank the National Fire Authority for coming and trying to put out the fire. Thank you for answering our call.”

Mr Bakeniceva claims that the cost of the damage to his home was around $150,000.

“The house was more than 22 years old and last year I decided to renovate the house. Our old house

had two bedrooms and the extension had six bedrooms,” he said.

“Despite losing everything, I am happy that we are all alive and no one was injured. We are currently at one of my nephew’s houses while we ponder on what step to take next.”

Police says investigation continues.

Feedback: wati.talebula@fijisun.com.fj