Fire destroys Vunivau family home

Divisional Police Commander North, Senior Superintendent of Police Kemueli Baledrokadroka, confirmed an investigation had been launched; cause of the fire remains unknown.

Wednesday 25 September 2024 | 12:38

The three-bedroom house that was destroyed in a fire at Vunivau, Labasa on September 24, 2024. Photo: Shratika Naidu

The three-bedroom house that was destroyed in a fire at Vunivau, Labasa on September 24, 2024. Photo: Shratika Naidu

A second house in Vunivau, Labasa, was razed to the ground yesterday within the span of one month.

Mohammed Irshad, the homeowner, was away in Suva for work when the fire broke out.

His wife and two children were at home but managed to escape unharmed.

The 31-year-old father expressed his shock after receiving the distressing call from his wife.

“It happened between 7am and 7:30am,” Mr Irshad said.

“I’ll be returning home soon to make ar-rangements for temporary accommodation until we can secure funds to rebuild.”

Irshad, a lorry driver, said he had lived in the three-bedroom home for eight years.

He was unsure of the total cost of damage but noted that it had taken years to gradually collect household items.

The National Fire Authority confirmed that two trucks and nine officers from the Labasa Fire Station were dispatched to the scene following an emergency call.

Divisional Police Commander North, Senior Superintendent of Police Kemueli Baledrokadroka, confirmed an investiga-tion had been launched; cause of the fire remains unknown.

Feedback: shratikan@fijisun.com.fj