Fire Destroys Youth Training Centre in Labasa

“We would not have been efficiently handled this alone and not the way it was done on Saturday.”

Monday 15 April 2024 | 18:48

The remains after the fire at Youth Training Centre in Naleba, Labasa, on April 13, 2024.

The remains after the fire at Youth Training Centre in Naleba, Labasa, on April 13, 2024.

Twenty-four boys at the Youth Training Centre at Naleba in Labasa had been sent home after their dormitory was destroyed in a fire on Saturday.

This was confirmed by the Ministry of Youth and Sports permanent secretary Meli Nacuva yesterday.

The alleged incident happened at about 3am.

Mr Nacuva said the Minister for Employment, Productivity and Industrial Relations Agni Deo Singh, who was in Labasa, visited the centre.

“I am thankful to Mr Singh as this meant a lot to the staff and students,” Mr Nacuva said.

He acknowledged the assistance of Government and non-government agencies, Ministry of Fisheries, Red Cross and people who mobilised to assist the staff in returning the students to their homes.

“It was not only the boys that went home as we felt that it was important the girls went home also,” he said.

“We do not know the extent of the impact on the youths, so it was best to move them to a safe place with their parents.”

He said the cause of fire and estimated damages were still unknown.

Divisional Police Commander North Senior Superintendent of Police Kemueli Baledrokadroka confirmed that they had received the report and investigation had begun.

The National Fire Authority confirmed they attended to the fire and investigations would start soon.

Good News

Mr Nacuva has revealed the ministry has options to get the centre up and running quickly.

“We are not promising any timeline but by looking at the support this will be done soon,” he said.

“Safety is the main concern for our youths at the centre where there is a safe place to learn and live for both our girls and boys.”

He said the Ministry of Fisheries and Fiji’s disciplined forces were willing to assist in kind.

“Personally, I was able to witness the strong level of collaboration between our agencies in the Northern Division and at staff level with the little that they have to share among themselves,” he said.

“We would not have been efficiently handled this alone and not the way it was done on Saturday.”

He said it would have cost the ministry a lot of resources, time and the impact on the youths would have been different.

Feedback: shratikan@fijisun.com.fj