Former PM, Former A-G Denied From Joining March

Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama, former At­torney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum, and FijiFirst Members of Parliament were prevented by Police from participating in the anti-Fukushima march and pro­test rally in Suva on Friday.

Saturday 26 August 2023 | 16:34

Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama, former Attorney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum at Albert Park on August 25, 2023. Photo: Wati Talebula-Nuku

Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama, former Attorney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum at Albert Park on August 25, 2023. Photo: Wati Talebula-Nuku

Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama, former At­torney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum, and FijiFirst Members of Parliament were prevented by Police from participating in the anti-Fukushima march and pro­test rally in Suva on Friday.

Acting Commissioner of Police, Juki Fong Chew said one of the per­mit conditions was the exclusion of political party representation or groups.

This condition had been discussed and agreed upon by permit holders and NGO representatives the previ­ous day (Thursday).

Mr Sayed-Khaiyum expressed confusion upon learning that they were not allowed to march.

“We understand that the permit allowed people to march. Yet, at Al­bert Park, we were told we couldn’t stay because supposedly the permit was only for specific NGOs,” Mr Sayed-Khaiyum said.

To read more, click on this link to access the full article and details: https://eedition.fijisun.com.fj/subscriptionplans 

Feedbacks: sampras.anand@fijisun.com.fj