Four Men Charged for Rape
The ODPP revealed that of the 18 people charged, one was a juvenile. A 15-year-old boy was charged with the rape and sexual assault of an eight-year-old girl.
Wednesday 07 February 2024 | 15:00
Four men were charged with the rape of a 12-year-old girl in January this year.
This was information from data released by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) relating to the number of sexual offences last month.
There were 18 people charged last month with 36 counts of sexual offences recorded.
Related stories
The ODPP revealed that of the 18 people charged, one was a juvenile. A 15-year-old boy was charged with the rape and sexual assault of an eight-year-old girl.
There were 13 victims of whom 10 were under the age of 18 years.
The ODPP said that the counts for sexual offences were rape (25), attempted rape (one), abduction with intent to commit rape (one), indecent assault (three), defilement (one) and sexual assault (five).
There were five incidents where the victims and the accused were related:
- A man, 22, was charged with the rape of his 14-year-old niece.
- In one incident a man, 30, was charged with the rape of his 13-year-old sister-in-law.
- A man, 27, was charged with the rape of his 17-year-old cousin.
- There was one incident where a man, 44, was charged with the rape, indecent assault and sexual assault of his de facto partner's 18-year-old daughter, however, this matter was discontinued after the victim could not be located or contacted.
- There was one incident where three men aged 38, 36 and 30 respectively man were charged with the rape of a woman, 39. The first and second accused person were charged with one count each of rape of their cousin while the third accused person who is the nephew of the victim was charged with three counts of rape, the ODPP said.
- A, 20, was charged with the rape, abduction with intent to commit rape and defilement of a 14-year-old girl.
- The accused person was known to the victim's family.
- A youth man, 19, was charged with the rape of a 15-year-old girl.
- A man, 20, was charged with the rape of a 16-year-old while in another incident, a man, 48, was charged with the rape of a 17-year-old girl.
Paid Advertisement | February 2024
Three cases were withdrawn after discontinuances (Nolle Prosequi) was filed after the victims could not be located or contacted and insufficient evidence.
Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj