Girl, 18 Accused Of Lying Denied Bail
Police prosecutor Sergeant Mereisi Seavula raised objection to a bail saying the case stirred public interest, and that Mareta's alleged false information about being abducted bu unknown men had frightened other women in the country.
Thursday 27 October 2022 | 10:46
An 18-year-old girl who allegedly provided false information that she was abducted by unknown men in Lautoka last week was denied yesterday, despite apologising to the court for her action.
Anaseini Mareta, of Matawalu, Lautoka, was denied bail by magistrate Senivika Jiuta at the Magistrates Court in Lautoka, amid strong objections from the prosecution.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Mereisi Seavula raised objection to a bail saying the case stirred public interest, and that Mareta's alleged false information about being abducted by unknown men had frightened other women in the country.
Related stories
She then asked the court that Mareta be remanded to serve as a warning to other would- be offenders.
Mareta is charged with giving false information to a public servant. The alleged incident happened on October 23. Sergeant Seavula also said Mareta allegedly provided false information to a Police Officer, which led to the use of several Police officers to investigate the matter, the investigation took several hours, and transportation was used, when instead it could have been used to investigate other serious offences.
When Mareta was questioned by Magistrate Jiuta on reasons why the court should grant her bail, Mareta apologised and told the court that she intended to return to her family. She also told the court that she was employed at a lolly shop and was working to support her family.
Mareta has opted to seek assistance from Legal Aid.
The matter has been adjourned to November 9.
Story by: nicolette.chambers@fijisun.com.fj