Goundar Shipping Under Fire Again
“No comments, I don’t talk to the Fiji Sun.”
Thursday 29 May 2025 | 11:04
Updated 08 August 2025 | 15:39 FJT
Goundar Shipping Limited is once again facing scrutiny after its vessel, 'Lomaiviti Princess 6', ran aground near Ono-i-Lau earlier this week.
The Maritime Safety Authority of Fiji (MSAF) has confirmed it is launching an investigation after receiving a distress report from the company. MSAF chief executive officer Joweli Cawaki said the vessel was en route to the Lau Group and had passengers on board.
"Yes, it was carrying passengers. We cannot confirm numbers at this stage," he said.
Related stories
Mr Cawaki confirmed 'Lomaiviti Princess 12' was sent on Tuesday to assist with the salvage operation.
Although he said the situation was under control, villagers had to step in to ferry stranded passengers to nearby islands using small boats.
"The passengers were transferred off the vessel safely," Mr Cawaki said.
"There have been no complaints so far.”
MSAF also confirmed that Lomaiviti Princess 6 had been inspected and cleared for travel before leaving port.
“We surveyed the vessel and checked it before it left for Lau,” Mr Cawaki said.
However, with ongoing public concern over Goundar Shipping’s safety record, MSAF is now preparing a full audit of all the company’s vessels.
“We are about to carry out an audit to review the operations of this shipping operator—all vessels,” Mr Cawaki said.
No injuries have been reported, but the incident has raised serious concerns about safety, compliance, and oversight in Fiji’s inter-island transport services.
When contacted for comment yesterday, Goundar Shipping’s founder and director George Goundar said: “No comments, I don’t talk to the Fiji Sun.”
Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj