Hibiscus Festival Grope Claim Lodged Complaint with Police
The queen contestant has formally lodged a complaint at Totogo Police Station
Tuesday 24 September 2024 | 10:30
Police will now investigate the alleged sexual harassment complaint by a Miss Hibiscus contestant.
Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro yesterday confirmed a report was lodged at the Totogo Police Station on Friday and an investigation was underway.
Last week, allegations of ‘groping’ surfaced after a contestant spoke to the Fiji Sun with claims of being ‘jabbed on back’ by a guest during crowning night on September 7.
Related stories
The revelation came to the attention of the Minister for Local Government, Maciu Nalumisa, who ordered an internal investigation into the claims.
Mr Nalumisa said an investigating team was looking into the matter to find out what really happened on that night.
“There should be professionalism maintained to safeguard the affairs of every queen contestant, “Mr Nalumisa said.
“We will get to the bottom and find out what really happened.”
He anticipated the investigation to be concluded this week.
Last week, Mr Nalumisa said he reached out to the Suva City Council special administration chairperson, Tevita Boseiwaqa, who is also part of the investigating team.
The queen contestant has formally lodged a complaint at Totogo Police Station.
She had hoped to wait for a witness, who was abroad, to return before proceeding with the complaint.
However, after further discussions with her family, she took the liberty of reporting without further delay.
The contestant alleges that a man, reportedly intoxicated, jabbed her on the back. She claims she immediately informed event officials of the incident.
Meanwhile, Mr Nalumisa said consuming alcohol should never be the excuse for such inappropriate behaviour.
Feedback: sosiveta.korobiau@fijisun.com.fj