Investigation Continues for Alleged Rape of Japanese tourist
She claimed that she was raped by the suspect, who is from Guwahati, Assam, India, and was also staying at the property on the same night.
Tuesday 16 July 2024 | 12:57
Police are still investigating an incident involving the alleged rape of a 26-year-old Japanese female tourist by an Indian national at a homestay in Nadi in May.
The alleged incident happened at the end of April while the victim, a teacher, was on her second night staying in the country.
She claimed that she was raped by the suspect, who is from Guwahati, Assam, India, and was also staying at the property on the same night.
Related stories
The tourist claimed that she was awake in the dormitory when the same man who had earlier asked her to turn off the light, approached her, saying he wanted to sleep.
In the early hours of the morning, the tourist claimed she was attacked by the man who allegedly raped her in the dark dormitory.
She had visible injury marks on her neck and leg which she photographed as evidence.
The next morning, she told a Fijian friend about the incident, which was then reported to the Namaka Police Station.
The Police took her to the hospital for medical examinations, and she underwent tests for diseases and pregnancy, which came back negative.
The victim and her friend reached out to this masthead to bring attention to the need for justice, as the suspect is still at large and may pose a threat to other women.
Acting Commissioner of Police Juki Fong Chew said: “We confirm that a report was made to the Police, and the case is currently under investigation.”
Feedback: waisean@fijisun.com.fj