Kamikamica awaits answers on FICAC phone seizure
The device was a Samsung phone and, at the time, it was Mr Kamikamica's sole personal and work phone. He has since obtained a replacement
Friday 18 July 2025 | 15:29
Updated 08 August 2025 | 15:29 FJT
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Trade Manoa Kamikamica says it remains unclear why Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC) officials seized his mobile phone two weeks ago.
FICAC has not yet returned the device.
During the parliamentary break yesterday morning, Mr Kamikamica told this masthead that he would wait to "see what the issue is", as authorities have yet to question him or provide clarity regarding the seizure.
Related stories
Mr Kamikamica confirmed that FICAC officials entered the Ministry of Trade office at the Civic Tower in Suva earlier this month and issued a search warrant to seize his phone, allegedly for "perjury".
The device was a Samsung phone and, at the time, it was Mr Kamikamica's sole personal and work phone. He has since obtained a replacement.
FICAC did not respond to multiple requests for an update.
Mr Kamikamica is one of several highranking government officials named in the Commission of Inquiry (Col) report into the appointment of Barbara MalimaIi as Commissioner of FICAC.
He has denied allegations of his involvement in Ms Malimali's appointment.