Fiji Labour Party leader, Mahendra Chaudhary with party president, Lavinia Padarath and Nadi Branch party president, Ram Rajend during the opening of the party's Nadi branch office in West Field Estate , Legalega in Nadi on 10 February 2018. Photo: Arieta Vakasukawaqa
Fiji Labour Party leader Mahendra Chaudhry has hinted on the calibre of candidates the party will field in the coming general elections.
Speaking at the opening of the party’s newest branch office in West Field Estate in Legalega, Nadi, on Saturday night, Mr Chaudhry said he wanted candidates who are courageous.
“This is the best qualification. They must have guts to stand up and speak out against injustice,’’ he said.
Related stories
“That’s what we like in our candidates … to be brave people and, prepared to make a sacrifice for this country.
“We are aiming at a good mix of candidates - youths and experienced people.
“People with a good record of community work service and, have passion for our country.”
The party, he said, had a record of putting ordinary people into Parliament compared to a time when politics was a domain of lawyers, accountants and other professionals.
Mr Chaudhry claimed that his party, which failed to win a seat in 2014, brought in farmers and trade unionists into previous parliaments.
“We are also looking at gender balance. We hope to pick from all the sectors, we have just begun our campaign. The response has been tremendous over the past few weeks.
The response from people wanting to join their party was positive, Mr Chaudhry said.
The party will release the first batch of its candidates to contest this year’s general election by the end of this month.
The final batch of candidates, however, would be released by the end of next month.
Mr Chaudhry said the party was aiming for 56 candidates to battle for the 51 seats available in the nation’s Parliament.
Bulk of the applications received so far are from the Western Division.
Applications for Labour tickets close on February 16, after which Mr Chaudhry will release final figures and disclose the first batch of the party’s line-up. He said the party’s 2014 manifesto was being updated and the end result would be released at an appropriate time.
This year marks the party’s 33rd anniversary since its establishment.
Edited by George Kulamaiwasa
Feedback; arieta.vakasukawaqa@fijisun.com.fj