Lawyer Files for More Time in Vugalei Murder Case

Qaloloma had allegedly assaulted the 43-year-old victim near the Vugalei Cemetery near Lami Town on Christmas Eve last year. 

Tuesday 16 January 2024 | 15:00

Inoke Qaloloma outside the High Court in Suva on January 15, 2024. Photo: Beranadeta Nagatalevu

Inoke Qaloloma outside the High Court in Suva on January 15, 2024. Photo: Beranadeta Nagatalevu

Defence lawyer Susan Serukai, has requested the High Court in Suva for more time to file disclosures for her client.

This is in the case of Inoke Qaloloma, 25, who is charged with one count of murder.

He appeared before Judge Justice Peter Bulamainaivalu yesterday.

Ms Serukai told the court she hadn’t received any copies of the caution interview from the prosecutions office, nor the postmortem examination report.

Justice Bulamainaivalu has given both parties time to file their disclosures and adjourned the matter to January 29 for mention.

Qaloloma had allegedly assaulted the 43-year-old victim near the Vugalei Cemetery near Lami Town on Christmas Eve last year.

Ms Serukai told the court that further investigations into the incident was needed because all witnesses who gave their statements were intoxicated for four days leading up to the day the incident occurred.

She pleaded with the court to have the misinformation by investigating officers Lami Police Station dismissed.

Ms Serukai also filed for bail.

Feedback: Beranadeta@fijisun.com.fj