Let Police Carry On Investigations: PM
Prime Minister urges people of Ra to move forward after alleged assault at health centre in 2018
Wednesday 26 October 2022 | 13:00
Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama has urged the people of Ra to move on from an alleged assault case that occurred at the Nasau Health Centre in 2018 and simply let Police continue their investigations.
A former doctor was allegedly held at knifepoint and assaulted by two men – believed to be from the province – demanding money and methylated spirits.
Doctor Ashneel Asish Chand and a nurse fled the health centre following the incident as they feared for their lives if they stayed.
Related stories
Mr Bainimarama was asked by Tui Nasau, Ratu Isoa Nayasikalau, to provide an update regarding Police investigations into the alleged matter.
Ratu Isoa shed a light on the issue as he was very concerned with the hurt it has caused to his people.
He said the alleged incident humiliated the district.
“Where is the investigation up to,” he asked the prime minister.
“We are very concerned about this humiliation.”
In response, Mr Bainimarama said it was important for the villagers to move and let Police carry on with the investigation.
Health minister, Ifereimi Waqainabete, highlighted that there have been a number of doctors posted there since the alleged incident took place and nothing of the sort has been experienced by them.
He also supported the call by Mr Bainimarama for the people to move on and await investigation results.
The last time Dr Waqainabete heard from Police regarding the case was last year and he was told that they have not found the people who committed the alleged acts.
Dr Waqainabete said the health centre was without a doctor for months before his replacement was found.
“They have not determined who did it,” Mr Waqainabete told the village chief.
On Monday, Mr Bainimarama officiated at the opening of the newly refurbished Nasau Health Centre, located in Nasau in Ra.
Current doctor, Dr Tomasi Tokalauvere, said the much-improved facility would help them provide high-class care to the people of Ra.
Almost 5000 people are expected to benefit from the upgrade that is currently powered by solar and generator.
Feedback: josefa.babitu@fijisun.com.fj