M-PAiSA Alleged Scammer Denied Bail

A man, who told the court that he did what he did to support his family, has been denied bail.

Friday 08 March 2024 | 10:05

Mohammed Imran Yunus escorted by police out of the Magistrate’s Court in Lautoka on March 7, 2024. Photo: Salote Qalubau

Mohammed Imran Yunus escorted by police out of the Magistrate’s Court in Lautoka on March 7, 2024. Photo: Salote Qalubau

A man, who told the court that he did what he did to support his family, has been denied bail.

Mohammed Imran Yunus told the Magistrate’s Court in Lautoka yesterday that he dishonestly obtained money from members of the public via M-PAiSA to feed his family.

Yunus is charged with three counts of obtaining financial disadvantage.

The accused allegedly posted advertisements for a house up for rent using a fake Facebook account for which he received a bond, amounting to $1100 on three occasions in November 2023.

When the complainants contacted him, he had switched off his phone.

He appeared before Magistrate Timoci Qalinauci while Corporal Sangeeta Devi appeared for the prosecution. Yunus opted for Legal Aid representation.

He confirmed that he had received the disclosures from prosecution.

Corporal Devi told the court that the prosecution was objecting to bail because:

- The accused allegedly had made full admissions in his caution interview;

- There were numerous complainants impacted by his actions,

- The victim had been allegedly evading police for some time;

- Allegedly had other pending cases similar to the current charges.

Yunus on the other hand requested for bails because:

- He was the sole breadwinner;

- He had a one-year-old child,

-His wife was sickly and unemployed,

- He also said he committed the alleged offence because he wanted to feed his family.

Magistrate Qalinauci denied the accused  bail.

The matter has been adjourned to today for mention at the Magistrate’s Court in Lautoka.

Feedback: salote.qalubau@fijisun.com.fj